The paper raised some questions for me about my own German ancestry. My mother's parents are both of German decent. They grew up in New Jersey, a highly German populated area, in a town that had a lot of Germans from what I understand. I know my Grandfather is fluent. Unfortunately, I am not sure why their relatives came to America. But, for me, it is hard for me to affiliate with ancestry because I come from so many different backgrounds. Between my Mother's each half-German parents and my Dad's fully Irish father and British mother, who do I identify with it. I feel like that is the reason for so many "American Americans" as of late. You can only be of a certain nationality for so many generations in this age.
I definitely think that patriotism had a lot to do with people "forgetting" nationalities. People moved here and had to be "American" because of peer pressure and that is understandable. Especially during wars which seemed to bring out hostility in the general public. Also, now that it was mentioned, I do find it weird that my grandparents of German ancestry are big into St. Patrick's day and don't celebrate Steuben day.
I do like what the Turners did, and would have been in their society if I was back in that era. But, from that era I think it is bizarre how they talked about Native American clubs existing in Germany. In addition to that, I was unaware that Germans had brought the club scene to America. I'm not sure if that is why the Jersey Shore exists! Just kidding...I know it is Italians.
I have never thought much of Milwaukee, but now that I know it is the "beer and brats" capital of the United States, I may have to make a trip over there. Sitting in a beer garden in Germany and having beer and brats with some friends isn't a bad way to spend a nice afternoon.
But, I do want to know what the entire German population thought of the wiener-mobile driving on the autobahn. That must have been the biggest vehicle after the large shipping trucks. Hopefully it didn't drive in the left lane! I also can't imagine going from quality German brats to a crappy American ballpark hot dog... I wonder if it would be as entertaining as a German guy from a race team trying a Natural Light beer!
The other thing this article stated is that Germany is starting to take tuition fees at University like in America. That is true, but not nearly on the same level. While in Germany last summer, the people I talked to paid <3000 euros per year! That is unheard of!
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.