Dienstag, 21. Januar 2014

Kultur 1: "How German Is American"

How German is American? was a very interesting article about how German determined a lot of what America is today. However, I do not think the title is fitting. The whole article was about how German settlers have shaped part of America, not how Americans changed German culture. Therefore, I feel as if a more fitting name would be How America is German?

Aside from my thoughts about the title and my expectations, there were many parts of the reading that caught my attention. Probably the number one thing I thought was interesting was where the first Germans settled at. I have lived in lower Michigan my whole life, however I have never felt like many of the people around me were of German decent. This is probably because, as the article states, much of what America is today is because of German influence.

Another point that I had found very interesting was how even though Germans moved to America, they still tended to group with other Germans. From what I understand, when you move away from an area it is to get away from the people and places of that area, at least most of the time it is. So when the Germans came here and continued to be a part of things with German culture it confuses me as to why they did not just stay in Germany.

The Brennpunkt Kultur readings were, to me, more interesting than How German is American? This is because of how formal greetings are. I have always been very interested in the mid-evil period. In the scenes of this period many of the greetings that take place are extremely formal and sounds very classy. So to know it is natural for German speakers to do this make me like the language even more.

At the same time it surprises me I do not hear anyone being extremely formal when they greet me in English. The reason this surprises me is because of how many countries have German as a primary or secondary language, and I would think that a German speaker that knows English would greet formally in English too out of habit.

Anyways, I have been very impressed by these readings and cannot wait for the next ones!

Auf Wiedersehen!!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.