I watched the Magic Flute production this past weekend. It was presented by the school of music.
It was very different than the rehearsal I had attended several weeks ago. In addition, we are studying the Magic Flute currently in my Mozart opera history class so I have gotten great exposure to the language. Of course, the dialogue in the Mendelssohn theater was in English but the singing nonetheless was in German. It was a great experience to hear how the singers handled switching from
their vibrant communication of the spoken dialogue to the sung German text. Being somewhat familiar with parts of the opera it was great to be able to see it in action. I was able to understand almost all of the words sung in German. In addition I could particularly tell who was very aware of what they
were saying and who was not. In general, it seemed like everyone was very aware of what they were saying. Personally, I would have preferred for it to be all in English but the sung German contrasted well with the spoken dialogue in English.
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.