Dienstag, 15. April 2014

AMD 6

For this AMD assignment, I decided to call my Uncle and Aunt who are both living in Germany right now. Although my family's ability to speak German has definitely decreased with time, my uncle is still very fluent in it, so I decided to chat with him in German as well as talk about what his struggles are with German even to this day. As a non-native speaker, it is always a challenge learning the different vocabulary with their specific articles. One thing he kept emphasizing was to make sure I knew which articles went with which words. Growing up, his parents spoke German around the house, given they had moved to America when he was three. Knowing how things were pronounced and having the sounds in his ears for a long time helped him when it came to learning and holding conversations in German. His parents never taught him German because they believed in a strict American upbringing, they were also a bit strange themselves. Having learned it freely himself through business with his job and then moving to the country when he was much older, he didn't necessarily learn it in an academic setting. He learned it through experience and repetition. If I am able to go to Germany soon, I would love to be able to fully immerse myself in the language. Completely throw away English and see how much I learn.

Here is a picture of the small village they live in:

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.