For AMD 6 I watched the full 2 hours of "Inglourious Basterds". I chose this because large portions of the movie is in German (and some parts are in French as well). Also the movie includes German content, although the history between the Germans and Jews is a little rewritten .
The film was created by Quentin Tarantino who sets the movie in a Nazi-occupied France during World War II. He creates a story about a group of Jewish soldiers who assassinate Germans . They also plan to assassinate the German Leaders during this time period.
I really enjoyed watching the movie not only because of the interesting storyline but also because of the incorporation of German and even French language. Although this made it really hard because there was German, French, and English dialogue it also made me pay closer attention to the conversations. One of the most famous scenes of the movie is the pub scene which is shown below. In this scene there is some German dialogue. But also this scene is important because the a Jewish soldier disguised as a German soldier blows his cover by holding up the number 3 incorrectly with his fingers. In Germany citizens hold up the umber 3 by holding up their thumb, index finger, and middle finger. However, the Jewish soldier dressed as a German Soldier makes the dumb mistake of holding up his index finger , middle finger and ring finger. This scene filled with German dialogue shows a little bit of what follows the Jewish soldiers mistake.
I actually really liked having to try to interpret the German words and even the French words. Most importantly it was not hard for me to figure out allot of what they were saying in German. I think the visual aspect helped as well. Although their were subtitles I tried not to look at them as much so that I would not miss out on the action. Below is a scene that was not so easy for me to interpret. This is also a famous scene form the movie called "Nein, Nein, Nein" .
This scene was one of the hardest for me to understand. In this scene the actor is suppose to be Adolf Hitler. He has just been told that more of his men have been killed by the Basterds (Jewish Soldiers that kill Germans). I was able to catch a few words . In the first line he calls them Jew Swine, which is when he says "Jude Schweinen". He uses words to express his frustration and anger as he talks about the men that have killed his and rumors that have been spreading. Important words that I picked up on during this scene were "Angst" , "Kein", "mir", "Bären Jude"and "Jude". I easily caught more basic words such as "nacht"," und ihre" , "alle", "Jetzt", "Wer oder Was" and "Danke","der" " meinem" . But with such key words I was able to tell that "Hitler" was made about the "Jew swine" killing his men, and that he will not stand for it anymore. He talks about the Bar Jew who is the most well known of them all. This is only a small portion of the scene but you get the point. "Hitlers" frustration made him talk very fast so it was hard for me to catch each and every word with enough time to translate it to english in my head.
Overall this was a fun AMD assignment. Probably the best one yet. I received a lot of German and French (which I use to study) so it was fun to see how much I could remember from both languages. But it was also very hard for me. It was definitely an educational experience and I recommend German or French speaking or lanauge taking students to watch it!
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.