Donnerstag, 20. Februar 2014
A taste of Germany
Food is arguably one of the most important aspects of a culture and is helpful in bringing people together. If one refuses to rely on familiar food chains, it is encouraged that we explore the foods of foreign culture, according to the article, German Fast Food: Forget the "Mett", Try a "Frikadelle". The article essentially decodes the different foods a foreigner would see on the menu of a German fast-food stand, also known as an "Imbiss". Reading this article was extremely helpful because for a while, I was incorrectly defining some of these German dishes. For example, I alway believed that a "Schnitzel" was a type of German pretzel, or a type of dessert related to the strudel. Luckily I didn't use these terms extensively, or around German natives because I was certainly incorrect.
As I read through the available food's, I noticed that one major ingredient within the many local dished is pork, also known as "SchweineFleisch. The articles discussed food including, Bockwurst, Bratwurst, Bratwurst im Brötchen, Currywurst, Frikadelle, Schweinshaxe, Nett, and Schnitzel. In examining all of the German delicacy's I began to wonder how vegetarians, survive in this setting. If one lives in a German city, and restricted to a meatless diet, can he receive the nutrients he needs from the food of a street vender? About 70% of German citizens care about whether their food was genetically modified, according to article, Eco-Centric Germans: Organic Food Obsessions. I do wonder, whether the statistics of this article translate in a German fast-food setting. Unless we are discussing "Pommes Frittes" (french fries in Germany) or condiments, vegetarian alternatives don't seem to be a huge part of the German fast-food. Most recently, a lot of popular food chains including, McDonalds, have incorporated "nutritious" alternatives into their menu to cater to health conscious customers. Although I would encourage these venders to be mindful of the different customers ready to eat on-the-run, I wouldn't expect them to revamp their menu, because these foods are distinctly German.
Abonnieren
Kommentare zum Post (Atom)
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.