Donnerstag, 6. Februar 2014

Stare Down

The average American might find the "German Stare Down" very strange. Perhaps this discomfort is rooted in the idea of scrutiny behind these stares. The person who is staring must be looking at something you're doing, or a specific feature in your appearance, which they might connect to someone or something else. The bottom line is the fear of German examination by non-Germans seems to be based on a fair of judgement. In reading the article, "The German Stare Down : Watcha Lookin' at Granny", I found the custom of staring to be particularly interesting to read about because I am a New Yorker. I have seen a number of quarrels and fights simply based on a stare, and even a glance. It is this fair of judgement that get people to feel threatened. I personally don't have a problem if people stare at me and sometimes I even stare back. I only have an issue when someone makes false assumptions solely based on appearance, especially if they never met me and no nothing about me. 
One interesting point that came across in the reading was the fact the gawking stares are historically rooted. According to the article, "A less-than-peaceful 20th century made Germans especially keen to know all they could about potentially dangerous –- or endangered –- neighbors." I don't believe that every German today stares based on fair of danger, but perhaps these potent looks are based on their inquiry about the unknown. 
I manage to find a video on Youtube of a foreign exchange student discussing his experience in Germany, and the "Stare".  Fast forward to :55 secs.



Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.