Samstag, 22. Februar 2014

German Music


                                                                  German Music

For AMD3 I decided to listen to a variety of songs in German. The first thing I did was go to youtube and I typed in "German music". A variety of videos came up after I searched this.


German House&Electro Club Dance Mix 2013&2014 Vol.4



One of the first things to come up in the search was German Electronic music. I love electronic music and techno and so I proceeded to click through some of the links. The videos were 15-20 minutes long filled with techno music with the lyrics in German. I enjoyed the music as much as I enjoy "American Electric/Techno" music. The only difference was the language. The music is exactly the same as the with a variety of beats and sounds that just make you want to dance. The only thing that made it hard for me to sing along was the fact that I could not recognize any of the words that were being sung. The words went by so fast that I could not keep up. I couldn't even recognize if there was any repeats of certain words. I could hear any repetition in the music but not in the lyrics. I enjoyed the dance music, but for all of the mixes I listened to I was unable to look up any of the lyrics because it was a combination of multiple songs and the videos did not include the titles of them. I could not find any more information on the specific songs in the mixes but still enjoyed the playlist that was created, especially the one above.


Sido ft. Mark Forster - Einer Dieser Steine



I also spent time going through Germans top 20 hits from 2013. After I searched this, a link came up with a combination of all the top 20 German songs for that year. After going through each song I decided to pay the most attention to "Einer Dieser Steine" which is the video above. This song had the most interesting video and a large amount of German Language. When the song was playing I was able to identify a few small/simple words such as "vie", "das", "ich" "und", and "nicht" right away. Then I was able to pick up on other words but there was some what of a delay. I heard words like "gessehen", "platz", "groBen","Hertz" and "Kennst". However, I did not notice this second set of words untill a few seconds after they were sung. It took a little bit of time for it to register that these were words I definitely knew. Other than these words and a few others, I could not identify what the singers were saying.

For the most part I did not know a lot of the German so when I looked up the lyrics I tried to figure it out based on my knowledge. But there was so much text that I was very overwhelmed. So I took the time to translate certain words and sentences to get somewhat of a sense of what the song was about. I learned new words such as "Gittern"(grid), "mitgenommen"(ragged), "vorbeigekommen"(to go near), "versenkt"(to sink) , "geschenkt"(to give) and many other wordes. The word choices in the song seemed to be very complex. The words were longer than the German words I have studied and almost seemed like compound words or verbs. It is hard to explain. But this caused me to try really hard to understand what was being said. I liked the line "Jeder meiner Schritte hat Problem bereitet", which Ithink means "Ever/ Each one of my foot steps has problems prepared "(or something along those lines) Overall this AMD3 was hard for me but interesting.


                                  Deutsche/German Top 20 Single Charts 07.Dezember 2013



Although I enjoyed the different styles/genres of German music I listened to. It was hard for me to know what the singers were saying which is a very important part of music. I was able to appreciate the actual instrumentation but not the poetry/messages that the singers or songwriters were trying to convey. However, I still had fun and I enjoyed exploring the different types of German music and found it very interesting that even the German top 20 hits included American songs from American Artists such as Kesha, Rihanna & Eminen, Lady Gaga, and James Blunt. I thought it was an interesting mix and made me happy to know that Germans enjoy their music as well as our music! This shows that Germans are pretty bilingual!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.