Samstag, 22. Februar 2014

Kapitel 3: Reflection

My favorite article from Kapitel 3 was the article about the doner kabab. I love doner kababs, and it was fun to read an article about them. Gryos are popular in New York City also, so it was cool to see how the same culture spreads to different cities. I would also argue that the doner (as drunk food) exists in Ann Arbor as cheesy bread or a Chipati. Another article I liked was the article about Organic Food Obsession. It's cool that Germans are so health conscious, and I think that Americans could learn a large amount from the German approach to food. I think that the fear of GMOs does exist in America, but its in the more liberal/urban parts of the country.

An article that really stood out in my mind was Asparagus, Royalty and the Joys of Seasonal Eating. In America, fruit may be out of season, but its never out of stores. You can buy plums and apricots year round, you just have to be willing to spend a lot of money for them. In America, the concept of seasonal eating is largely disappointing. My dad, for example, hates the idea of having to go 6 months of the year paying 3x more for seasonal fruits. In Prague, I remember having a discussion with my landlord about the seemingly lackluster produce variety in the Portroviny (their version of a 7-11 merged with a fruit stand). One of my roommates asked where "all of the fruit was", and my landlord informed us that it was out of season. He then asked us why we would even want to eat it if it was out of season. It was something I had never thought about before.


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.