Mittwoch, 19. Februar 2014

Kultur 3

“German food is roughly equals to meet, potato and beer”, said one of my friends. He said his first dining experience was great because he is a meat-lover, but that was enough. The second time made him sick and he refused to try any more “German food”. He has a huge appetite, which is about triple or double of mine. However, he told me he ate like a bird compared with the average German guy in the restaurant… He became a vegetarian for a whole week after that business trip in Germany…

The first part of his week’s cultural readings are all about food and beer in Germany. They gave me a great intro of German street food/ fast food that I should try.

German fast-food shop: "Imbiss" or "Schnellimbiss"

Bratwurst im Brötchen
This looks like a dog-burger.

Currywurst

Frikadelle

Schnitzel

I've tried this before in Chicago and I think it is Ok.

Schweinshaxe


Man, I am a meat-lover… But these pictures are too overwhelming…  I think I will be made to be a vegetarian if I live in Germany for a month…

I've had the "Döner Kebab" in Mexico and it is called "tacos al pastor" there. I searched this and found this Turkish disk is worldwide popular and has all kinds of variations in different countries. In China, it is  widespread among Uyghurs because it is closer to Turkey and there were cultural interactions between these areas. That is really interesting to study the history and culture through food.

I likethe first post and the author's tone. Ich trinke gern Bier!!
I had several kinds of Chinese beer, Japanese beer and American beer. I also tried Pils and Alt before.I would love to try all the other kinds mentioned in the post. I have never get drunk before. The alcohol content is low, it is only ~5%. I am wondering how much beer a guy drink to get drunk...

With all kinds of great beer, public drinking is also a big issue in Germany. There is a debate on this issue, alcohol ban for public drinking and drinkers' civil rights. In Canada and America, this is banned by law (except for Las Vegas) that public drinkers would be put into jail. In China, there is no established law on this issue. But most people would not do that. I've never met public drinkers in park or on street in China. I met several in Mexico. The post does not reveal who are these drinkers. Why sleep on benches if they have home and family.

The second part is about the German's personality and Teutonic humor. 

The first piece agrees with the previous "Brutally Honest". It is hard to accept if somebody gives me that honesty, "stupid, idiot..", and I am wondering how should I respond to that. This links to their weird sense of humor directly. Maybe that is why they have Nietzsche, Hegel, etc., the philosophers. 

"Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich."
(When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks into you.)
Mealtimes in German-speaking countries
In German-speaking countries, people should rest the forearms on the table instead of under the table.
Deutsch have the "second breakfast", zweites Fruhstuck. This is interesting because we just call it a snack instead of a meal.

The metric system
Well, I prefer this system because it is the same as in China....
zwei Glas Leitungswasser mit Eis, bitte.
ein Viertel/ ein Achtel Rotwein, bitte.
ein Halbes Bier, bitte
ein halbes Pfund Hackfleisch, bitte

Heidelberg and Mannheim
H: historic uni, an old castle, scenic location on the Necker River, vienyards
one of the most romantic cities, 150000, skull of Homo, 
M: industrial, 325000, first automobile, Mercedes, music capital, 

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.