This chapters Kultur readings were incredibly interesting. I've always thought that there was something different about Germans compared to Americans and it was enlightening to have the differences spelled out for me. The reading about the starring grannies was hilarious. I've had friends who have very traditional German family members and I've felt that incredibly uncomfortable stare upon meeting them. Though I wish that article had a more definitive way to address those situations when they arise. I'm too awkward for the whole "oh my, do I have something in my teeth" thing to work for me.
The article about how blunt and honest Germans are was my favorite by far. It's incredible that things that would be so rude in America are just common conversation in Germany. I wish that we could be that honest in America. "I can't come to your party because I'm an introvert and I would rather spend my night at home with my Netflix account and my cat" is much clearer than "sure I'll come to your party. (An hour before the party) Oh no... I can't make it, my cat got sick..." (I'm not an introvert and I don't have a cat, just in case you were wondering). But in all honesty, we as American's could use a little more truthfulness in our lives. It would save us from a lot of awkward situations. While I'm not an introverted cat-lady, I am the queen of awkwardness, so the freedom to be a little more direct and to the point would be a welcome relief.
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.