Mittwoch, 5. Februar 2014

Kapitel 2 Kultur

The first blog I read was about German "Pastimes" which namely included whining, bitching, and moaning. That was a funny blog to read and I could definitely relate. I feel like Americans are the same way. It is interesting to realize how much one actually complains throughout the day and how subconscious it could be. Sometimes I would pass someone in the hall and they will ask me how I am doing. Rather than simply saying, "well, and you", I immediately give them a laundry list of all the things I have to do and how I have no time to get it done without even noticing it. I feel like the average person spends 1/3 of their day complaining about one thing or the other and it is somehow build into your daily routine. Wether you are on your way somewhere and the bus runs late it is easy to begin to complain about the smallest thing, so in regards to complaining being a German pastime I think it is a universal pastime.
It was interesting in the "Whatcha lookin' at, Granny" blog how Bradley concluded that the creepy overly involved, even nosy neighbor peering out of their window to watch your every move had historical basis. I have not been to Germany so I have never experienced this to the extent that She describes but I feel like Americans can also be a nosey bunch. I on the other hand live a busy life as do many Americans today so I do not have extra time to preoccupy myself with others whereabout. This may very well be a generational thing where the elderly don't work and therefore have a lot more time on their hands to peer out of windows and serve as mall cops and security guards in their neighborhoods.
The "Have You Gained Weight?" article is SOOOO TRUE, and I think it is a foreigner thing (no offense). Growing up in with a Nigerian mother, I am not a stranger to the awkward conversations that stem from my mom seeing one of my friends after a couple months and saying, "oh you have gained some weight in your face". My mother in no instance hesitates to speak her mind and say how she feels in the most blunt way possible. American society often shoots to sugar coat things which is a very deceptive way of dealing with things although it is much more socially acceptable that cussing out the cashier for serving you with his or her left hand (which is considered very rude in African culture). The bluntness is something I have become accustomed to so I understand those points!
It also makes sense that there is an obsession with the numbers because there are certain bragging rights that come along with it. Its almost like saying you are from California or New York City (woot woot shout out to Cali btw). Anyways, every person has nationalistic pride and every nation wants to be number 1 in any given thing. A little national pride never hurt anybody, (well actually it has but we won't go there).

-Christabel Nunoo

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.